If you’re looking for a tinge of the exotic in a great-tasting classic dessert dish, look no further. The following for banana pomegranate bread is always a smashing success (so yummy!). Plus the pomegranate arils (photo above by Amelia Crook) are high in vitamin C, potassium, and fiber, so you can pretty much tell yourself it’s healthy. Here’s the recipe for this scrumptious dessert that will make you popular with anyone lucky enough to receive a slice from you:
Ingredients for banana pomegranate bread:
- 2 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of mashed bananas (approximately three ripe bananas)
- 3/4 cup of sugar (granulated)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup of canola oil
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp of grated orange rind (this is optional)
- 1/2 cup of slivered almonds (chopped) or peanuts
- 1 cup of pomegranate arils (from one large pomegranate)
*Extra arils and almonds for garnishing (optional)
- Place the sugar, flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl and mix them together until they are fully mixed.
- In a second bowl, add the oil, bananas, orange rind (if you opted to include the orange rind), milk, and egg.
- Stir this mixture until it just becomes dry, but do not over mix it.
- Fold in the pomegranate arils as well as the almonds (chopped) or peanuts until they are integrated.
- Spoon the resulting batter into a greased 9-inch x 5-inch x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Sprinkle some arils and slivered almonds/peanuts on top.
- Bake the batter in the pan at 350°F for an hour (or until a cake tester inserted into the center emerges clean).
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bread onto a wire rack and let it cool completely.
Note: If the bread is browning too quickly during baking, you can cover the top loosely with foil.
Be warned that if you have a spouse or children, this dessert has a way of mysteriously disappearing from the refrigerator. Bon Appetit!
Did you enjoy this recipe?
Feel free to let us know in the comments below. Cheers!